Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The cost of being born

**Warning, this is a rant. You have been warned**
I am currently at war with the hospital billing company. Which I guess is better than being at war with the hospital... which I was earlier this year. I am not exactly sure why they keep sending my bills when my insurance company is supposed to be covering the whole thing. But here I am, calling the companies on my pumping breaks and making a big fuss. The current theory is that most people, when given a bill, will just pay it and move on. Thus getting the billing agency all the money they think they want instead of what they agreed to get from the agency contracted with the insurance people. Confusing? Yup. But after several phone calls and some very helpful claims people I am once again sitting here waiting for a debt to be erased. And let me tell you how tired of calling these people I am. However I also found out how much having a baby costs in SC county...

are you ready for this?

Upwards of $50,000!!!!

That's $30,000 for the hospital (the room, food and nurses) and $20,000+ for the doctors. Whoa!!!

Who knew that being brought into the world was so expensive? And that is not covering the cost of the OB for the previous 9 months or the tests pre-labor or even the vitamins and antibiotics. Being born is an expensive proposition.

No comments: