Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Fries

As Ms. Melly approaches 2 years old she is beginning to assert her own will and personality. One of the ways she has decided to take control of her life is to be a more picky eater. That is...she will pick what she eats...even if it is off mom and dad's plates. For the most part it's frustrating and I am constantly worried that she is getting enough to eat. (Yes, I know, every child goes through this and she will out grow it sooner or later. It's just frustrating right now.)

Anyway, one of the things she will almost always eat are french fries. So, as dutiful parents we stocked up on fries in the freezer and just wait until she is looking for food and then present them to her. I think she likes them best because she can control everything about them, from when she eats them to how many she eats.

She has also learned that sometimes mommy goes through the drive-through and it is pretty much guaranteed that there will be some fries passed back to a baby. The other morning I had to go in for my glucose test. (For those of you who have not had this test, it means I had to fast...so picture a starving pregnant woman who spies a McDonalds on the way to Gymboree.) It was still early so it was breakfast time. I got my meal without thinking that it would be an issue. But seconds after that bag of food was passed into my window I hear "Fries?" From the backseat. "I don't have fries, baby." I say as I calmly attempt to pull back into traffic and not kill us all before I can bust into my sandwich. "Fries!" This time a little more adamant. "Melly, I don't have fires. Would you like hashbrown?" I attempt to pass a broken off piece of hashbrown into the backseat while stopped at a red light. (Meanwhile all the windows are down and the man in the moving truck next to me is listening to the whole conversation.) "No!! No!! FRIES!!!!!" Now it's getting a lot more serious. There is even crying involved. As you can guess the rest of the twenty minute drive to Gymboree was chock full of "FRIES!!!!" while I attempted to eat and explain to a one year old that I didn't have fries.

It's a lot funnier now.

FRIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Miss Kalendar said...

Ok, I'm sure it was awful at the time and all, but as a story, it is absolutely priceless. I just chuckled my head off reading that!

Much love, honey. Thanks for posting a picture of you every now and then. Some of us miss you as well as the baby! Take care of yourself, sweetie. Let me know if you need anything special sent to you from CA (except for In-n-out burgers or marianne's ice cream, they just won't keep.)

hearts and stuff,
E