Monday, June 18, 2007

The Bear Story


As most of you know I was up in Tahoe for two weekends recently. One of the most exciting parts of the trip was all the talk of bears. The bears just wanted your food or food smelling soaps, the bears are getting more dangerous every year, the bears are mating so stay away... Well shoot. What am I supposed to do about bears?

I pitched my tent in quiet camp (all that sleep that my little alien needs me to get) and was very happily going along in my little world of believing that there really weren't bears they were all a figment of my imagination until the second weekend on Friday night... I woke up to flashlights flickering across the walls of my tent and lots of running feet. My still groggy mind hears "We have sited the bears" And then "Don't worry, I'm armed" Armed? As in with guns? Ok now I am freaking out. The walkie-talkies are going off the people are shouting... the bears are attacking!!! And what am I freaking out about? Oh my god, they are going to shoot my air mattress!!!

Then I hear "everyone stay in your tents" as if I would have even thought about getting out. Then they would have had a clear shot at my air mattress!

After most of the excitement has calmed down a friend of mine walks up to my tent and announces himself. He comes in and calmly shows me the gun he is carrying!!! What?!?!?!

What have we learned from all this? Don't bring your favorite air mattress to campgrounds with bears.

Tah.

1 comment:

blue-foot Sue said...

I'm not sure that I approve of you using "friend" and "gun" in the same noun phrase.