Wednesday, May 23, 2007

"Because I'm awesome"

I had an interview yesterday for a job I would really like to get. I got the call for the interview the day before and it caught me off guard. However I rallied my spirits, pulled out my resume and typed up some references. Then the hard part began. I didn't have anything to wear. Normally I would have a day or so to go shopping an get the last second items, like maternity 'nice' clothing. However I had to make due with what happened to be in my closet. Lucky me I don't get rid of things quickly and I still had a nice size 16 skirt and my shirts still fit pretty well. OK clothing down... resume down... directions... quick check of map quest... down. Life is good. I really want this job. I leave home early to make sure I have lots of time. I left home too early and arrived 45 min early. No worries I drove to McDonald's to go pee and calm my nerves with a fruit and walnut salad... Ok so really I ate several slices of apple and a few grapes and threw away the rest. Then it was time for action.

I drove back all prepared. I was going to be the best darned candidate ever. I arrived early, chatted up the secretary, met the people giving the interview... discovered that two inch heels were a bad idea as both of them were no taller than 5'4 but, meh, you sit in interviews...right? Questions and descriptions flying back and forth... So, you live in Santa Cruz, how is the commute? I just got a new car and I love to drive... How do you deal with loads of paperwork? I am used to it, keeping records and following up on clients... Yah me, I'm being so professional. I answer things, have my hands on full view on the table, look them in the eye, life is good. Then come the question. I don't quite know what came over me. It was a bit like channeling my best friend.

He said: Why should we hire you above anyone else?

I said: Because I'm awesome.

That's right. I said I was awesome. Of course then I qualified the answer with something a little more standard... I'm dependable blah, blah, blah...

I'm awesome?!?!

They seemed to really like me. I asked them to call my current boss for a reference along with my other references and even fessed up to being pregnant to which they responded with they were both parents. I feel good about this. But you never know. I would really like this job. It would be challenging and require actual thinking skills. (Something I haven't had to do at work in quite some time) They said they would let me know in about two weeks. So keep your fingers crossed. I have other interviews this week, however. So good mojo and everything thinking at me... not saying you are awesome to potential employers might be a good idea.

PS my entire current office thinks it's completely amusing that I said this. My current boss started laughing and said she could totally see me doing that. Oh good.

Tah.

2 comments:

littledevilworks said...

Well you are awesome. It's the power of "Light and Fluffy".

Nannin said...

You are awesome. In all your awesomeness (yes I know that isn't a real word). Love you to pieces and no more walking into inanimate objects. See you soon.