Monday, November 10, 2008

Expectations

It's often true that the expectation for an event is better than the event itself. And unfortunately I found this out this weekend. The family made the 2 hour drive to the Carolina Ren faire. It was...well... it was. I guess my problem was expecting it to be like the California big faires. I expect people in the street annoying me..ummm I mean talking to me. I expect more than half of the paying public to be in costume (of some kind). I expect to be amazed by the quality and quantity of handmade art and crafts. And sadly, I didn't get it. We had conversations with two whole street giggers and one was at the opening gate. We saw a few things that were very nice (I love the feather wreaths!) but mainly I saw things that could be gotten on ebay. I did see a few of my favorite shops (go bi-costal shops!!! But for the most part there was poor costuming choices by the people working, few street giggers, and little to no audience participation. *sigh*

I had no idea that working for the CA faires would make me this jaded.

Do I want to audition for next year at this faire? I have no idea. It would be a lot of work and not a whole lot of people wold agree with my methods... Where is my guild? Where are my girls? I want my faire back.

1 comment:

Miss Kalendar said...

I'm sorry, honey.
Your girls are here and we miss you.
While I know you have a baby and no free time and stuff, you know you want to go inflict yourself and your "methods" on an unsuspecting faire. You know you do!

Make us proud! We tried to make you proud this year!.